1.12.2011

Cake.

It's Wednesday and that means cake.

I guess it doesn't really mean cake, I just woke up and felt like cake so here goes.

Smitten Kitchen

Are you drooling yet?

I recently made this cake for a friend's birthday and it was out of control.  I had multiple people at the table say, "This is the best cake I have ever had."  Let me emphasize here that I can really take no credit for that.  I wasn't exactly the perfect pupil to the recipe.  My cakes overflowed in the oven, leaving them wonky and less-than-full, and leaving my oven, well, you get the idea.  Then as I started to frost, I realized that in fact, popular to contrary belief, the proper icing tools are necessary for effective cake building.  The butter knife just didn't cut it.  (Insert giggle from my husband here at the pun I just inadvertently made.)

Anyway, the point is that I screwed up on a lot of different levels but still, the cake prevailed.  I think this is the mark of a truly divine recipe.

So, go out in the world today and eat cake.  You deserve it.

Smitten Kitchen

(That picture is obviously not my cake. I do think, however, that this post has inspired me to try again.  Hopefully,  my next attempt will be pretty enough to photograph.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a place for thoughtful opinion. Please be considerate.